Re: built up steel column

> From: "Effland, Greg" <geeffland(--nospam--at)butlermfg.com>

> Typo in web depth calc.......  4 should have been d...  (probably caught
> that but just in case...)  For references for doubly symmetric I-sections
> you can also refer to AISC 9th Ed. ASD Eqn. C-F1-2 page 5-146 (if using
> doubly symmetric also be sure to use rt(equiv) as noted on that page...
> helps out if your bending allowable falls into equation F1-6 or F1-7)...
> other references include Steel Structures by Salmon & Johnson, Blodgett's
> book Design of Welded Steel Structures (as mentioned by others) and etc...
> The equation presented earlier and below is applicable to doubly symmetric
> or singly symmetric sections...

Another good reference for torsional aspects is the AISC Steel Design
Guide for torsion but for the life of me, I can't find my copy to give
the series number.

Note that there are limits to the application of sum(bt^3)/3. The
assumption is that b>>t, but I seem to recall that the results are
reasonable down to an aspect ratio around b:t = 5:1. In other words, a
square bar flange doesn't work well in this equation.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International