Re: Blast Resistant Doors

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] Several people have already mentioned the two ASCE design guides which cover blast resistant door design. I just want to mention that in addition to the structural analysis and design, you might also want to consider operability.

If you must rely on the door to remain operable after a blast, you should consider how the manufacturer intends to meet this requirement. Some manufacturers design their doors, including hardware, to remain elastic which theoretically implies the door will operate and not jam after a blast. Some manufacturers back up their structural designs and claims of post-blast operability with dynamic test data. I am not saying the elastic design approach is inadequate. I am simply saying blast tests, if done properly, increase the confidence that the product will work as intended which should be worth something.

Walt Sawruk
ABSG Consulting, Inc.
5 Birdsong Court
Shillington, PA 19607 USA