CFS Column with Fixed Base

Catching up on my reading after vacation.  Responding
to a message from late June:  Bill, if you're still
trying to do this, you might consider a plate about 3
inches (or more) bigger all around than your column
section.  Make the plate maybe 3/16 or 1/4 inch thick.
 Cut tabs on the bottom of your cold-formed box
column, with corresponding slots magically
(expensively) cut in your plate.  Insert the tabs
through the slots, bend them out flat, put the plate
on another plate (trapping the tabs), and drive powder
actuated pins or screws through both.  This will give
you pretty reliable fixity.

Next, put on your plans, "Contractor may substitute
TS4x4 with 3/4x10x10 baseplate."  They will.

For further clarification, see George's comments
below.

To me CFS is similar to wood and brick masonry in that
the connections primarily serve to hold the members in
a position of strength (i.e. direct bearing), or at
most are used in simple shear.  This as opposed to
structural steel or concrete, in which we can design
connections or joints that are basically as strong and
ductile as the main members.

Actually, if you really want to make your fixed-base
column, just embed the base in about a foot of
concrete.  That, you could actually get built.

Mike Hemstad, P.E.
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota