From: "Ken Peoples" <kspeoples(--nospam--at)lvta.net>
To: "seaint" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: reduction in allowable bending stress of aluminum at welds

------=_NextPart_000_005C_01C118EF.3AFEEC00

I have a publication from the National Association of Architectural =
Metal Manufacturers called the Pipe Railing Systems Manual (ANSI NAAMM =
AMP 521-95) and in it they have a table of allowable stresses for =
various pipe and tubing materials (Table 1).  For Aluminum, there =
appears to be a very serious reduction in allowable bending stress =
within 1" of weld (for example 6061-T6 is 24 ksi outside of a weld area =
but only 14 ksi within an inch of a weld and 6063-T832 is reduced from =
24 ksi to 8 ksi).  I am not very familiar with aluminum design, but =
would like to know if this is common with all aluminum framing - not =
just pipes and tubes.
Thanks for your help.

Ken

Kenneth S. Peoples, P. E.