From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 7:45 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: curve steel beam

Francisco,

You will also want to find good reference material on torsion of steel
beams.  Bethlehem Steel (I believe) has a free guide on torsion design of
steel beams.  I believe that AISC inherited this publication from them and
it became Design Guide 9: Torsional Analysis of Structural Steel Members.
This publication (if memory serves me correct) does not get overly into
the theory of warping stress and other fun steel torional design issues,
but does provide some relatively easy to use charts that you can use.  And
I use the term "relatively" somewhat loosely...torsion analysis/design can
get rather confusing without the theory.  When I dealt with this stuff
initially, I did not have that theortical background and the Bethlehem
publication did not make too much sense (the AISC pub was not available
yet).  But after I went back to school and took the PhD level steel class
an U. of Michigan, it made a lot more sense.  It still made my head hurt
and the smoke alarms go off, but it made more sense.

You can also check out Blodgett's book.  It does cover some of the basics
of torsion in steel.

You will find out that your best solution will be to use a closed shaped
member (i.e. tube).

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI