E, allowable bending and horiz. shear for #2 hem-fir

Just wanted to clarify a couple of issues:

1) wrt Hem-Fir vs. Hem-Fir(N): these are "species combinations," which means
there are various individual species that make up each combination. if you take
a look at Table 2.1 of the 1997 NDS Supplement you can see the difference
between the two. the latter includes only 2 species, the former contains 6.
Hem-Fir has species in the combination that aren't included in the Hem-Fir(N)
combination and vica-versa, so the design values are different. Hem-Fir is the
US version and Hem-Fir(N) is the Canadian version. (N) stands for North.

Here's a link to a Demo version of the NDS in PDF format. it should give you
access to Table 2.1 of the NDS Supplement.

http://www.awc.org/software/index.htm#NDS

2) wrt increased shear design values that you see listed on the WWPA site, make
sure you are aware that NDS shear provisions are being revised in the next
edition of the NDS (due out first quarter of 2002) in order to utilize new
lumber shear design values. However, until revision of the NDS has been
completed, 1997 NDS design provisions are only to be used with design values in
the 1997 NDS Supplement: Design Values for Wood Construction, or similar values.
Here's a link to a write-up about it on the AWC website:
http://www.awc.org/technical/Shr-dv.html
HTH
Buddy Showalter, P.E.
AF&PA/AWC