Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 22:08:58 +0530 (IST)
From: Jaswant N. Arlekar <ajn(--nospam--at)iitk.ac.in>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: AREA

Your following message has been delivered to the list
  seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org at 09:41:07 on 2 Aug 2001.

Hello,

Is anyone aware of American Railway Engineers Association (AREA). This
organization was supposed to be very active with steel construction
technology before AISC was founded in 1921. Apparently, in 1905 they came
up with the first specification for construction with steel. I'd like to
have a look at this document. Anyone having this specification by AREA
please let me know how I can obtain its copy.

I am also looking for documentation on performance of steel structures
during the past earthquakes. Understandably, there were very few steel
structures during the first quater of the century, and a few steel
building have been damaged duing the San Fernando earthquake of 1906.
Is anyone aware of any documentaion of the damage to steel buildings
during the 1957 Mexico earthquake? In fact I'd like to know if there were
any steel buildings damaged proir to the Northridge earthquake of 1994.

Thank you,

Jas

Aug 2
9:49pm