Re: Column Base Plates

Jim,

	Why don't you try a yield line analysis, for screening purposes if
nothing else?

	In the past I've only seen this used for concrete floor slabs, never
for base plates; and you may not feel comfortable relying on it; but the
theory is sound.  A yield line analysis should at least tell you if you
have any hope of making some other analysis work even if you don't want
to rely on it.  I think I would try this before I went to the trouble
and cost of using a finite element analysis.

				Regards,

				H. Daryl Richardson