RE: A15, intermediate grade reinforcing

Greg,

ASTM A15, Intermediate Grade had a yield point of 40ksi.  The spec was
discontinued in 1969, but as is common, some general notes do not get
changed.  The ASTM spec that I am looking at now is ASTM A15-66.  ASTM A15
covered both plain and deformed reinforcing, and if deformed reinforcing was
required, ASTM A 305 also had to be specified which covered the deformation
requirements.

If the slab was designed using working stress design, I would caution against
checking its adequacy using USD, particularly when considering splice and
development lengths.  These were based on the stress in the bar, not the
ultimate capacity of the reinforcing.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Greg Showerman wrote:

. > Our office is investigating an the load capacity of an 8 inch thick
. > reinforced concrete floor slab.  The floor slab is in a sanitary sewer
. > lift station.  The plans are dated 1970 and specify A15, intermediate
. > grade reinforcing.  Can someone tell me the yield stress for this
. > specific reinforcing.

. > Thank you for the help,