From: Bill Polhemus [mailto:bill(--nospam--at)polhemus.cc]
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2001 9:01 AM
To: SEAINT
Subject: Q: Building Expansion Joint

Back several years ago when I was "doin' Wal-Marts" with Davis Parsons--who
taught me a great deal about mass-production building design (thanks,
Davis)--it was common to have an expansion joint in those buildings.

However, it was never clear to me what the criterion was for their
inclusion. Certainly, with prototypical designs like Wal-Mart, such a
decision can be made and the joint incorporated, and future prototypes
developed with the joint in mind.

However, I have a tall-wall masonry building in front of me as we speak, a
very symmetrical architecture, which is 157.33 ft. long, definitely in the
neighborhood of that which I would consider an expansion joint to be
warranted.

But putting one in there would be problematic. It would probably require
that I rearrange the guts of the thing, which I'm loathe to insist upon
unless it is absolutely warranted.

I do seem to recall reading (maybe one of Ambrose's books) where including
expansion joints is not necessarily THE thing that has to be done, that you
can rationalize your design so as to exclude them.

I'd like some input from those who do these sorts of single-story masonry
buildings. When if at all do you NEED a joint? What are your criteria?

William L. Polhemus, Jr., P.E.
Polhemus Engineering Company
Katy, Texas
Phone 281-492-2251