RE: Column Base Plates

The area of the plate and the area of concrete are adequate in this
particular case. The column bears directly on a large footing. It is the
plate thickness that is not adequate. This condition has a tendency to
concentrate very high bearing stresses directly under the column.

By stiffening the plate, those higher bearing pressure can be distributed
to those stiffened areas also, thus reducing those concentrated bearing
stresses directly under the column.

Jim K.