From: Ron Hill [mailto:ronhill(--nospam--at)hillce.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2001 06:40 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Column Base Plates

The values of allowable compression are:
1.  0.35 f'c
2. 0.7 f'c
3. 8 f'c

Values 1 and 2 are from AISC.  Value 3 is from R. Cooks anchorage in
concrete book from PCA.

For FEA I would be inclined to use 3. for areas under the column web and
flange as the allowable.  Depending on the size of the pier or footing , I
would use the values of 1 or 2 for areas near and at the edge of the base
plate.

Ronald Hill, P.E.
HILL Consulting Engineering
Birmingham, Alabama  USA