cantilever wood deck

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] I recently looked at a wood deck, 2x10s @ 16 with 2x decking, that cantilevers 10 feet from the house... It's a bit bouncy and appears to be over stressed for d+l unless some phenomenal grade of lumber was used. (Dangerous and hazardous comes to mind.) The original drawings done in 84 detailed it as only 6 feet wide.... The obvious is to cut the deck back or put in additional supports, but I'm concerned about some lateral movement. The deck flexes laterally with one person on it and I'm looking for ideas for lateral bracing if it remains a cantilevered system. It's spaced decking so plywood doesn't work, and the only thing that comes to mind is flat straps installed diagonally between the decking and the joists. Has anyone had any other solutions to resist the lateral movement of an open cantilevered deck?

Steve P