What is deforming to cause the deck to flex? Two nails per deck-piece to
each the joists should provide a "diaphragm" that is pretty rigid in shear.
Does the deck need to be re-nailed? Or screwed down?
Is the flexing due to lack of anchorage of the structure to the house?
Perhaps the end joists need to be anchored to the floor framing of the
house; hardware that connects to the deck framing and, through the wall, to
the floor framing at each end may be needed to provide chords for the
cantilever deck diaphragm.
How about the shear connection of the deck to the house?
South San Gabriel, CA
* This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers
* Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
* subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
* Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org. Remember, any email you
* send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted
* without your permission. Make sure you visit our web
* site at: http://www.seaint.org