Re: 4 WELDED PLATE SECTIONS

JJ

Write a spreadsheet to calculate all section
properties. Select plate widths from useful fractions
of available sheet widths, to cut down waste of
material.

We use built up sections a lot, and never have tables,
because dimensions vary widely.

Warning: whenever a plate is subjected to compressive
stresses, take into account its slenderness. AISC/ASD
reduces allowable stresses for that, and almost all
codes specify sections related to slenderness of
flanges or webs, and strengths are determined
according to a class.

good luck
IJR

--- Juan José Treff De la Mora <jjtreff(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>