Re: BOOK RECOMMENDATION

JJ,

I have Salmon and Johnson's "Steel Structures, Design and Behavior", 3rd & 4th editions ( undergrad and graduate school ) and still find them to be a valuable resource. The book is geared toward LRFD, but contains ASD requirements as well. Usually, most example problems in the book are done in both methods.

>From the table of contents....

It has chapters on Steel (material and production), tension members, fasteners, welding, compression members, beams, torsion, LTB of Beams, Continuous Beams, plate girders, beam-columns, connections, braced and unbraced frames, design of rigid frames, and composite steel

the ISBN # for the 4th Edition is 0-673-99786-3

Hope that helps,
-Gerard
SF, CA

>>> jjtreff(--nospam--at)hotmail.com 08/13/01 12:05PM >>>
Dear Colleagues,
I am looking for a book to substitute another one, kind of old, used in a
University. The book we used is:

Basic Steel Design
B.G. Johnston, F.J. Lin and T.V. Galambos
Third Edition
1986 Prentice Hall

We tried to find a newer version of this book, but apparently is out of
print. We would like you to recommend a substitute for this book, with
current knowledge, codes, etc., but with the same characteristics:
- simple to read, not complicated
- "self teaching"
- complete steel subjects included

Any suggestions?