RE: Anchoring roof diaphragm to concrete wall

Concrete embedment doesn't have any 1.4 factors to apply to it for wall anchorage. And I am not clear how you conclude that an increase in steel gauge automatically means that it is the steel yeidling? Perhaps you could illustrate with a specific example?
-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Feather [mailto:pfeather(--nospam--at)san.rr.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2001 12:32 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Anchoring roof diaphragm to concrete wall

Typically the wood connection governs, as you would think.  But review the Simpson tables for PA straps, which are commonly used as wall ties, and you will see the values limiting out at different levels for concrete and masonry.  For masonry, the values limit out on short straps, indicating the embedment strength is controlling, and for concrete the steel gage increases with longer straps and additional nailing indicating the steel tensile capacity reached a control point.

With a potential 65% difference in required limiting capacity, it is not possible to simply assume the wood is the governing factor.

Paul Feather