RE: Avoid mail viruses and worms!!

Greg,
His original message indicated a way to control virus and worms while
using Outlook Express. This is really a different animal from Outlook in
the way it handles messages. Using a good virus protection software such
as Norton's Antivirus with Outlook 2000 or Outlook XP (2002) advanced
rules and junk mail features have eliminated all potential problems with
worms on my machine. To be honest, I am not sure if Outlook 2000 and
later identifies the security problem (Microsoft has had frequent
security upgrade notifications) and strips the message of the offending
files or if this is the work of Norton's Antivirus. I have been
receiving nearly two to three attempted infected files per day and have
yet to have one get by the security.

One thing that I have learned from accessing public newsgroups is that
those sending viruses automate their accumulation of e-mail address by
those who leave or respond to messages on public newsgroups. You can
avoid this by making sure that any signature you leave for response to a
message in private is created in a format similar to:
address_NO_SPAM(--nospam--at)anyserver.com  The addition of the _NO_SPAM portion of
the message kills any automated routine that will pick up addresses out
of messages.

When signing up for a public newsgroup using readers like Outlook
Express or Forte's Agent requires that you set up the program by
identifying yourself with a fake name and email address. Access to
individual Newsgroups do not verify the email address and Outlook
Express or Agent does not verify if your SMTP or MAIL server is real or
not. OUTLOOK 2000  does check your user information for validity.

In Outlook 2000 or later, creating a contact without an e-mail address
would not, in my opinion, stop a worm. Most of the worms isolate
messages with e-mail addresses and skip over those who have only a fax
or phone. I have not attempted to try the advice sent, but would think
that the author originally meant the advice for Outlook Express and not
the Outlook product that comes in the Office package. They are similar
but different animals.

Regards,
Dennis