RE: Active, At-Rest, Passive Soil Pressure

Material waste is relative, what is considered value engineering to some is
considered poor reckless judgement by others.  I agree that all these disco
duck engineers bought their soils books back when the BeeGees were still
popular.

However, at-rest pressure is now codified in the 2000 IBC, which does a much
better job with basement walls and retaining walls than the UBC did.  IBC
Table 1610.1 gives prescriptive active pressure values for USCS soil types
and indicates to use 60 pcf for granular soils on walls restrained by rigid
floors [at-rest pressure] and 100 pcf for silt-clay on restrained walls.
Further it indicates wood joist floors are not considered rigid.

Also IBC 1805.5.5 indicates walls need to be designed for hydrostatic
pressure unless a drainage system is installed.  IBC chapter 18 and IBC 1610
are more clear about basement wall and retaining walls than the UBC.

Scott M Haan P.E.
Plan Review Engineer
Building Safety Division
Development Services Department