Re: ASD biaxial bending allowable stress

>However, we've recently reviewed calculations where Fbx and Fby are 0.60Fy,
>no matter what the compact length attributes of the beam are.
This isn't right according to the 8th edition of the Steel Code and
Section III of the ASME Nuclear Code. The denominator of each term in the
interaction summation includes the allowable bending or axial stress if
the bending moment or axial load existed alone. A factor reflecting the
effect of compression is also applied to the allowable bending stress.
The simple relationship used in the calculations you're reviewing was
used in the 5th edition of the AISC Code, but that's too ancient even for
me.