RE: 14 story concrete shear wall buildin

Scott,

I'm sorry if you feel that I am philosophizing, but words are most
important.  If none of the 18 criteria of Section 302 define a building that
endangers the public or occupant (which is what the first paragraph of the
section suggests), then the entire Section 302 should be eliminated.

If "bodies" constitute a dangerous building, then only a building in which a
person is injured or killed due to construction of the building can be
classified as a "dangerous building."  Therefore, no building can be
considered dangerous until after-the-fact death or injury occurs.  (Now,
*that* is philosophizing.)

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Scott Haan wrote:

. > Roger,

. > Enough philosophizing.  That is for a jury to decide.

. > Respectfully,

. > R

. > Scott M Haan P.E.

. > Roger,

. > Where are the bodies?  Being serious, this section allows a building
. > department to shut down crack houses and teen sex ranches when someone
. > calls the Mayor. Also it gives a building department some methods of
. > determining when existing buildings are public hazards.

. > I know that in my jurisdiction we do not go around kicking people out of
. > 50 year old houses that are sitting on tree stumps unless they are public
. > nuisances.

. > I am just a spectator for the whole thing and wonder whether any big
. > cities have used the 'Uniform Code for the Abatement of Dangerous
. > Buildings Section 302.14 Paragraph 14' to require an old building to be
. > seismically retrofitted.

. > Respectfully,

. > Scott M Haan P.E.