[no subject]

Hi there

I am a structural engineer from Malaysia and working in Kuala Lumpur. I am working on a 33 storey apartment building. I would appreciate very much if someone can give me some advice on this problem I am having.

The company which I am with is the contractor for the building superstructure. The basement (3 levels of carpark) was built by a another contractor. We are about to start construction of the Mezzanine floor. However, the consultant engineer requires us to provide propping for at least 2 floors for construction of the new floor.
The reason given is that the carpark which is designed for 2.50KN/m2 imposed load cannot take the load from the new floor transferred via scaffold. The new floor slab is 125mm thick spanning 2.7m across supporting beams (700x230).

As far as I have seen, all the construction in Malaysia is done by only propping one level (unless it is heavy structure). Yet, design calculations proves otherwise.
Can you let me know the reference (British Standards or equivalent) where I can get the construction load for temporary works.

Thank you

Tony