Re: Brick Lintel Protection

To Richard,

	I have two other suggestions for your consideration.  What you actually
decide to use, of course, depends upon just how highly corrosive the
environment actually is and on what your codes dictate.

  1.)	Why not use a low alloy steel which oxidizes to produce a hard
oxidized surface for the lintel?  I don't remember the A.S.T.M.
designation for this material; but in Canada we would call it G40.21
350A.  It has a very low price premium which would make it the material
of choice even if you paint or galvanize it.

  2.)	Consider adding a corrosion allowance.  Use material that is say
1/8" thicker than required and allow it to corrode.

	You cal always use a combination of several of the good ideas suggested
by "the list".

				Regards,

				H. Daryl Richardson