Re: Brick Lintel Protection

A couple of observations regarding Daryl's reply:

1.)  The steel that oxidizes to form a rust-resistant barrier [corten in the
US] causes rust-streaking of the wall below it.

2.)  Designing for a corrosion allowance for a lintel, which is embedded in
the wall, may not be a good idea: I've seen corrosion of a steel lintel in a
brick wall lift the wall and supported roof, forming an ugly crack in the
wall due to rust-jacking -- the rust occupies much more volume than the
steel from which it forms and is capable of high pressures.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net