RE: 2x Built-up columns.

Locally alot of built-up posts are used in residential construction.  It is
a common plan review comment to require a NDS 15.3 nailing pattern to be
shown on the plans and to check them per NDS 15.3.  Normally people don't
argue here if you tell them a beam or post is undersized.

Most people locally design wall studs based on the plywood and sheetrock
bracing the studs in the weak direction otherwise the le/D > 50 for studs
taller than 6'3".  It seems rational that a built-up post braced by exterior
sheathing and interior gypsum board could be designed considering the
individual 2x weak axes braced, if the weak axis is in the plane of the
wall, the studs are nailed together and the wood panel sheathing is
continuously fastened to one of the studs.

This would give a larger capacity than NDS 15.3 which only allows nailed
built-up columns to have 60% the capacity of a solid column of the same wood
with equivalent dimensions.

Scott M Haan P.E.
Plan Review Engineer
Building Safety Division