RE: 2x Built-up columns.

"...But I have been told, they built thousands of houses like these, none of
these columns failed..." or a variant of it is the first thing they teach
contractors to say in Contractor School.  Unfortunately, it is usually
true - both that they have done it and that they haven't failed.  They
haven't failed because they haven't been subjected to design loads,
mitigating circumstances and because of safety factors built into design
procedures.

Roger C. Davis
Architect
SDS Architects, Inc.