From: Helen Zhou [mailto:Helen_Zhou(--nospam--at)stlouisco.com]
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001 8:36 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: 2x Built-up columns.

** Proprietary **

Hi,

Moving from southern California to St. Louis, MO,  I noticed more built-up
beams and columns in the residential construction here. 2-2x4 or 3-2x4 as
columns to support girder trusses with up to 8000 lbs. or 12000 lbs, If the
column ht goes to more than 12',  I saw some 2x6 s. 10d or 16d nail @ 12" or
24" are common for these built-up columns. 1/2" plywood exterior and 1/2"
gyp board interior are the only bracing for those columns. Per NDS 97 sec.
15.3, I have problems to justify the design. But I have been told, they
built thousands of houses like these, none of these columns failed. Please
help me !

Helen Zhou  PE