From: "Pat Clark" <bcinc(--nospam--at)nanosecond.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Re: 2x Built-up columns.

I am also working on a wood structure being constructed in Lost Wages (Las
Vegas) and am having similar problems with many large column loads bearing
on built-up 2x8 columns.  We are currently trying to inform the
pre-fabricator of the elements (Illinois I believe) that the requirements of
the NDS need to be applied (what is the NDS they say), and that we need to
develop a more serious brace at the column-ceiling interface.  The most
difficult thing we are having to design are the connector requirements that
specify penetrating through the entire assembly into a portion of the final
ply.  Does anyone know more about how the Appendix in the NDS was developed?