Re: Brick Shelf Angles

Brick with block back-up is what was preferred (or rather insisted upon)
at most A/E firms that I have work at.  The obvious problem with this
system versus brick with metal stud backup is cost.  But you need to pay
(or rather the architect does) particular attention to the connection
details for a brick with metal stud system, especially considerations for
penetration of moisture.

I worked on an existing building that had a metal stud backup system
behind the brick.  One section of the wall collapsed due to a combination
of moisture penetration and inadequit penetration of the screws for the
brick "ties" into the metal studs.  A metal stud systems can (and has)
been used but it does tend to require more attention to the details.

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI