RE: embrittlement of reinforcing bars when hot-dip galvanized

Thanks to all.

Nick B.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)d-fd.com [mailto:Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)d-fd.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2001 7:52 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: embrittlement of reinforcing bars when hot-dip galvanized

Nick,

Hot dip galvanizing rebar is acceptable; see ACI 318 section 3.5.3.7 and
ASTM A767, Standard Specification for Zinc-Coated (Galvanized) Steel Bars
for Concrete Reinforcement.

Your real problem is the welding of the rebar to the plate.  This requires
preheat, proper weld settings/materials, and hope they did not dip it in
cold water when finished.  We had a million dollar disaster on a previous
project where the field arbitrarily substituted rebar for Nelson studs on
dozens of embed plates.  The fix was real ugly.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Duke/Fluor Daniel

----- Forwarded by Tom Hunt/DFD on 09/06/01 07:32 AM -----

                    Nicholas

                    Blackburn            To:     "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'"
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                    <nblackburn@f        cc:

                    dgoak.com>           Subject:     embrittlement of
reinforcing bars when hot-dip galvanized

                    09/05/01

                    04:36 PM

                    Please

                    respond to

                    seaint

Does any one have information supporting or denying that hot-dip galvanized
A706 rebar is embrittled during the galvanizing process.  I have an embed
that is A36 plate with #4 A706 welded to it.  The contractor has issued an
RFI with this as the basis for the requested alternate.  It is a new one to
me and I don't see anything in the ACI or AWS literature.

Thanks,

Nicholas Blackburn