Re: cmu wall footings

Gentlemen

Yes you can use such a system provided the line load is not high & the bearing capacity is reasonable; implying you get a reduced width of footing & hence probability of nominal bending due to soil pressure, which a cmu can safely sustain. This has been used classically & is still in practice for the low income/rural housing in developing countries. Regards,

SYED FAIZ AHMAD

From: PFFEI(--nospam--at)aol.com
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: cmu wall footings
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 10:20:14 EDT

thanks for the responses regarding my question from yesterday but i think the question was misunderstood. the block will be the stem wall, but instead of
setting the block on a concrete wall footing or setting bed, the block be
utilized as the wall footing itself to bear directly on the soil.  the
national concrete masonry association has some general information in their
TEK manual, but not much specific design info.  does anyone have experience
using this system?
thanks in advance - paul franceschi s.e.