Re: Children ... (AKA disclaimer)

Fellow Engineers,

	I highly doubt if anything posted on this (or any other) list could
ever become evidence in any hearing anywhere in the civilized world.
There in not even any guarantee that the person posting is who (s)he
claims to be!

	Whether or not we could be summoned to appear in person and give
evidence is something quite different.  We probably can if we live,
work, or travel within the appropriate jurisdiction.

	Whether or not we can be sued in civil court is yet a third
consideration different from the other two.  I (and apparently others as
well) have felt free to contribute to this list in the expectation that
those seeking information were sufficiently informed to know that they
had to consider any information from an unknown source as questionable;
they should not rely on it without question hence they had to verify it
for themselves; and they had to assume responsibility for their own
actions whether or not they took any advice offered.

	If I'm wrong and I am in danger of being sued for posting on the list
then so is everybody else.  If we do need a disclaimer perhaps it should
appear at the bottom of all postings automatically (like General John
Sedgewick).  Perhaps it should read something like the following:
"Although the information contained in this posting is submitted in good
faith it should be regarded as questionable and should not be relied on
by anyone including the addressee."

	This is becoming quite an interesting thread.

				Regards to all,

				H. Daryl Richardson