Re: Children ... (AKA disclaimer)

To Ray and others,

	This brings it back to reliance and responsibility.  When I post
something on the list it's generally in response to a question with
limited information provided.  It may, in fact, be the wrong question
and the most important information may have been omitted.  I don't want
to take full responsibility and have the recipient (and who knows how
many others) rely on the information unless they are going to provide
much more detailed information and pay me a fee.

	To put this in perspective, a few days ago someone asked for help in
designing guy supported sign and I provided a fairly detailed response.
Now I'm absolutely certain that I could design a guy supported sign
should the need arise; but I have no idea whether a guy supported sign
is economically or even technically viable for the specific situation
or, indeed, whether the corespondent is capable of utilizing the
information I provided; I just responded to the question.

	I've often seen conflicting opinions expressed on the list coming from
engineers whose names I see often and have come to respect.  One obvious
reason would seem to be that each one is reading a different question or
assuming different circumstances given the general lack of information
provided by the question.  You can't really expect us to be certain of
our responses on the net; the most that you can really expect is that we
are sincere in our efforts to be helpful; we (at least most of us) are
not pranksters.

	A big risk in taking advice from this list is that the provider is
misinformed; a small risk is that the provider is incompetent or a
prankster.  In either case it is the user's responsibility to verify any
advice provided.  As my former accountant once informed me "Free advice
is usually worth what you pay for it".

				Best regards to all,

				H. Daryl Richardson