From: Randy Russ [mailto:rruss(--nospam--at)eatel.net]
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 10:46 AM
To: seaint
Subject: Competing Codes

Paragraph 1606.1.1 of the Standard Build Code states, "Wind forces on every building or structure shall be determined by the provisions of ASCE 7." Five exceptions to this are then listed. Nowhere in the exceptions are telecommunication towers, water towers or metal buildings. I suspect other building codes are similar to SBC in this regard.

Telecommunications towers are routinely designed for EIA/TIA-222-F. Water towers use a code put out by AWWA. Metal building manufacturers design to an MBMA code.

My question is this. By what legal authority are these other codes allowed? I am somewhat familiar with EIA/TIA. In the first paragraph they state that "....these standards are not intended to replace or supersede applicable codes." If the EIA/TIA code is used without checking against ASCE 7, isn't that superseding?

Randy Russ
Russ Engineering Group, Inc.
Baton Rouge, La.