RE: Competing Codes

Bill's comments below cover the seismic requirements however the wind
section of the UBC, section 1615, has similar language; "....., and any
structure may be, designed in accordance with approved national standards".

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Duke/Fluor Daniel

----- Forwarded by Tom Hunt/DFD on 09/12/01 09:43 AM -----

                    "Cain,
                    William"             To:     "'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
                    <bcain@ebmud.c       cc:
                    om>                  Subject:     RE: Competing Codes

                    09/12/01 09:06
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to seaint

I don't use  the SBC but the UBC states, in Section1634.1.2 Criteria.:

"When  applicable design standards and other design criteria are not
contained in or  referenced by this code, such criteria shall be obtained
from approved national  standards."

That is the  exemption that allows AWWA D-100, D-103, D-110 and others for
water towers and  reservoirs to be used in ICBO territory. I would expect
similar language to be  contained in the other model codes.
Regards,
Bill Cain,  SE
Oakland  CA