    |      ||   --- Bolt
    |      ||
    |      || Angle Seat
  __|______||__
  |           |
  ------------- Bolt
    |      ||

If so, remember that the bolt is in shear on both faces of the column, i.e.
the inner shear plane counts double.

If not, how do you plan on getting the nut on the inside of the tube?

Mark Jones
Jacobs Engineering

> - Charpentier Joe [mailto:JCharpentier(--nospam--at)tectonicengineering.com] wrote:
>
> We've got a situation where we are reinforcing a connection between an
> existing wide-flange beam and an existing Tube Steel column.
> The existing
> connection is a single shear tab welded to the face of the
> column, which
> will not support the additional loads being added on the
> beam. We want to
> place a seat angle below the exiting beam. However, the owner
> does not want
> us to weld to make connections. Can anyone point me to a
> reference (or point
> out) any additional concerns aside from the normal bolt
> tension, shear, etc?
> I'm going to check the tube wall for bending across the face, and the
> corresponding deflection, but how can I quantify what effect
> that may have
> on the tube's axial or bending capacity? (or is the issue too
> minor to worry
> about? It's a TS4x4x1/2) I guess that the AISC has gone as far as
> recommending shear tabs rather then through plates "wherever
> possible" (if I
> remember the black HSS connections manual correctly), So is
> this issue not
> as serious as once thought?

NOTICE - This communication may contain confidential and privileged information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient.  Any viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by unintended recipients is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.