RE: Bolting through tubes

A year or two ago, I attended an HSS Connections seminar sponsored by AISC.
In the handout material under the section of "Bolting with HSS", I found the
following notes:

THROUGH BOLTING

"Long bolts or nutted and threaded rods that extend through the entire HSS
are satisfactory for shear connections that do not require a fully tensioned
installation.  The flexibility of the walls of the HSS precludes the use of
fully tensioned installation.

ASTM A325 or A490 bolts may be used, although the required length may be
such that an alternative material such as A449 would be more suitable.

The through bolt is designed as before for a bearing shear connection,
except that the per-bolt bearing strength per loaded wall at the bolt hole
is as given (by the equation,
phi x rsubn = 0.75 x (1.8 x d x t x Fsuby).  In the above equation, Fsuby is
the specified yield strength of the HSS material, d is the bolt diameter,
and t is the HSS wall thickness.  Note that many designs may be such that
the full load is carried by only one wall of the HSS."

The above is a direct quote from the course handout material.  The material
also includes a discussion of blind bolts for HSS connections.  I remember
the presenter saying that blind bolts are very expensive as compared with
conventional A325 or A490 bolts.  There may also be some question about what
allowable strengths to use for blind bolts in design.  You would probably be
relying heavily on manufacturers' information.

David L. Williams, P.E.
Vice-Pres., Snyder Engineering, Inc.
409 Vandiver Drive, Bldg. 5, Ste 203
Columbia, MO  65202