RE: flag-pole

The size of my flag pole is 8" at the base and is 40-feet above the base.
The embeddment length suggested is 5-feet.

-----Original Message-----
From: syed faiz ahmad [mailto:syedfaiz23(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2001 2:16 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: flag-pole

Hello there!

Over turning Moment at the base is a very important factor in the stability
analysis of a pole (be it a light pole or a flag pole); which infact
determines the size of the footing to be used to give a Stabilising Moment,
at least 1.5 times the Over turning Moment.

But remeber, the size of the pole (implying height & diameter or width) is
important together with the size of flag or the luminaire.

If you provide me the size of the pole, I can let you know how to compute
the Overturning moment at the base. This will help you determine the size of
the footing. Regards,

SYED FAIZ AHMAD; MENGG, MASCE
SENIOR STRUCTURAL ENGINEER
SAUDI OGER LTD