doubled plywood sheathing on one side of shear wall to increase c apacity?

1997 UBC 2319.3 says "Where wood structural panel is applied to both faces
of a shear wall ..., allowable shear for the wall may be taken as twice  the
tabulated shear for one side, except that where the shear capacities are not
equal, the allowable shear shall be either the shear for the side with the
higher capacity or twice the shear of the side with the lower capacity,
whichever is greater."

I have seen several designers try to increase the capacity of a wall by
applying two layers of sheathing on one side of the wall.

Is doubling the sheathing on one side of a wood structural panel shearwall
an acceptable way of increasing the capacity? Has there ever been any
testing for this assembly? How come the code does not mention it?

Thanks,

Scott M Haan P.E.
Plan Review Engineer
Building Safety Division