Re: doubled plywood sheathing on one side of shear wall to increase c apacity?

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next] This is probably best answered by APA from their test data, however, I am under the impression that the shear capacity of the all is greatly influenced or dependent upon the size and embedment of the nails used. This is why there is a 15% reduction required where sinkers are used in lieu of common nails.
So, in short, the answer is that the nailing governs and the engineer can not assume twice the value for double sheathing on one side of the wall.
The code does provide for reduced values of plywood sheathing when applied over gypsum - which I assume is to compensate for bending in the nails due to the softer gypsum material.
Any rebuttals?

Dennis