Re: Flagpole calc

Bart (and others),

An article in the January-February 1986 issue of ICBO's, "Building Standards"
magazine (pgs 9-11), "Measuring Wind Loads on Poles for Today's Large Flag,"
describes tests done by the National Association of Architectural Metals
Manufacturers (NAAMM) and compares the results of those tests with the, "Navy
Formula," and the "Hoerner" method.  Tests were done on 8'X12' and 20'X30'
flags subjected to wind speeds of 70, 80, 90, and 100 mph.

I am sure that the "Specifications" available from NAAMM  (www.naamm.org)
would provide more updated information.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Bart Kemper wrote:

. > I don't have a problem with the "structural" side of the calcs...but how
. > do you calculate the windload on a banner/flag at xxx mph wind?  Thanks.