Crusade (was Re: WTC & Mass Media)

In the English language, Crusade is defined as "a vigorous concerted
movement for a cause or against an abuse".  A poignant example is the Civil
Rights movement in America was frequently referred to as a crusade.  The
term does not equate with a Holy War in the minds of the U.S. citizenry the
way Jihad equates with Holy War in the Islamic world.  We do not think in
terms of Holy Wars, our nation is far to diverse ethnically and religiously,
with freedom of religion being one of the tenets we cherish.

This country was founded on the escape from religious and political
persecution.  If you truly want to understand Americans, read the Bill of
Rights.  They are not just words, but the principles of our society.  We are
a nation of constant tension, struggling for the necessary equilibrium to
balance the diverse needs of a diverse people as exemplified in our daily
politics.  What many in the outside world may construe to be moral decadence
or weakness in our society is in fact a necessary part of the fabric of our
society, the need to defend the inalienable rights of the individual to hold
and express certain views regardless of how deeply you oppose those views.

With all of our different viewpoints, German-American, African-American,
Asian-American, Irish-American, Latino-American, Italian-American, and so
on, when the basic freedoms of our society are challenged the bickering
stops and we are all first and foremost, Americans.

I agree that crusade was probably not a preferred choice of words given the
history and contextual meaning outside of the United States.  But inside of
the United States the meaning was clear.

Paul Feather