RE: Flagpole calc

Check ANSI/NAAMM FP 1001-97  - Guide Specifications for Design of Metal
Flagpoles.
Section 4. FLAG LOAD

for nylon and cotton flags:
Wf = .0010 x V^2 x (area flag)^.5 x Ch     Equation 4

for polyester flags:

Wf = .0014 x V^2 x (area flag)^.5 x Ch      Equation 5

where:

Wf = flag load on pole in pounds
V = 3-secion gust wind speed in miles (Refer to Figure 3.2.2)  <you'll have
to get this on your own!!!>
Area flag in square feet
Ch = coefficient of height for wind pressure from Table 3.2.3A, calculated
at top of flag.

Neil Moore, S.E.
neil moore and associates
shingle springs, california