RE: Building Separation

The intent of the code section is to provide reasonable separation from the
property line without unduly penalizing the building owner. I cannot think
of any city that would require you to provide sufficient separation to
accommodate the neighboring property. If You choose to this on your own,
more power to you, but it shouldn't be mandated on you.

Ben Yousefi, SE
San Jose, CA