3x sill plate in wood shear walls

Integrated Design Services, Inc.
250 N. Golden Circle Dr., Suite 105
Santa Ana, CA 92705
(714) 541-5440 x15
FAX (714) 541-5330
E-mail:  bob_freeman(--nospam--at)idsids.com

September 28, 2001

David Gorton

Re:  Wood shear walls

Dear David Gorton:

An additional 2x sill block is what we have used successfully on seismic
retrofit projects.  Like you mentioned, the anchor bolt attachment to the
additional sill plate blocking is critical.  The new blocking keeps the
staggered shear wall nailing from splitting the original 2x sill plate.

Respectfully,
Integrated Design Services, Inc.

Bob Freeman
Project Manager