Re: Wood Shearwalls

In my opinion, supported by examination of broken sill plates after the
Northridge earthquake, cut sill plates for plumbing and electrical
conduits are a bad idea.  It has the effect of destroying the continuity
of the sill plate so that individual elements are not anchored for shear
transfer to the structure or foundation, also increases the likelihood
of splitting and bending of the anchored sections of sill plate. A good
alternate is to fabricate an adjoining non-structural furring wall to
accomodate plumbing lines, electrical conduits and heating ducts, if
applicable.  Otherwise, keep such penetrations out of shear wall
segments.  Tested shear wall assemblies on which code design values are
based do not include such penetrations.
John Rose (APA - retired)
Tacoma, WA