Welding Over Galvanizing

Normally when welding galvanized steel we remove the zinc coating by
grinding or other suitable means two inches either side of the weld.  I
have heard that leaving the galvanizing is not good but not necessarily
detrimental as long as all the other procedures and QA are followed.
Obviously there is a venting concern for the gasses produced.

Does anyone know the extent of the problems and detrimental effects the
zinc may have on the weld?  I have a case where I need to fix a field
problem and removing the galvanizing may be difficult.  This would be a 1/2
inch fillet weld on new A36 3 inch diameter galvanized rods (+/- 4 months).

Thanks,

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Duke/Fluor Daniel