RE: Welding Over Galvanizing

Tom,

Re: "The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding", Lincoln Electric.

Welds on galvanized steel have more of a problem with porosity but are
usually within acceptance limits.  Fillet welds on galvanized steel have a
tendency to develop small cracks.  Weld metal cracks in galvanized steel are
intercrystalline with a zinc-rich layer lining the surface of the crack.

The trick is to volatilize the zinc by oscillating the arc with a whipping
motion 1/8" to 5/16" ahead of the weld metal deposit, and using as large an
electrode compatible with the plate thickness and the electrode position.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague