Tucson Seismic Zone

Mike,

Actually, neither.

Tucson and Pima County have <shudder> adopted the IBC and IRC, with very few
local ammendments.  Previously, when the UBC showed southern Arizona in
Seismic Zone 1, local ammendments kept us in Seismic Zone 2, albeit, 2A,
until we got the UBC to show us in 2A.  2A was comparable to the .075W for
low rise structures that previous editions of the UBC required us to design
for.  2B would have had us design for .09W and there was too much reluctance
for that.

I would suggest that you use your good judgement for seismic design.  I keep
in mind the May 3, 1887, earthquake centered in Mexico which shook up
southern Arizona and the southwest, being felt from El Paso on the east to
Yuma on the west and from Mexico City to the south and Albuquerque to the
north.

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Michael Bryson wrote:

. > Can someone tell me what seismic zone Tucson, AZ, is on? 2A or 2B?