RE: Anchor bolt design - wood sill on concrete

Yes, I think by explaining it - I remembered the procedure in full. The code stated that you designed the sill plate for twice the thickness. Therefore if you used a 2x member you needed to find the value of the anchor in wood parallel to grain. The values in the wood manual (or prior UBC) gave values for 2x and 4x members. Therefore, you had to interpolate for a 3x member (2 times 1-1/2") to obtain the capacity of the wood plate (remember, the wood governs as it is the weaker member).

What I don't recall is whether or not you consider any perpendicular to grain force and design by Hankinson formula. I don't believe you do, but something keeps sticking in my memory about this. In my case shear is co-planar and not skewed. I think I just follow the procedure parallel to grain.

Dennis

At 06:38 PM 10/1/2001, you wrote:
I don't know where in the code it is either, but the method you describe is what I have seen: concrete is treated as a main member with a thickness twice that of the sill plate. My wood handbook gives values that correspond to this.
-----Original Message-----
From: Structuralist [mailto:dennis.wish(--nospam--at)gte.net]
Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 6:14 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Anchor bolt design - wood sill on concrete

I am going nuts - It's been a long time since I manually designed my sill anchors and I remember a section of the code that clearly indicated a method something like 1/2 the value of twice the thickness etc. etc.  (so for a 1-1/2" sill you are looking for anchor bolt values for 2-inch and 4-inch members - since twice the 1-1/2 inch member is 3" and between the table values) or something like this. I can not find it in the code. It may be that I am stressed out trying to make a promised deadline, but I've gone brain dead and cant find the paragraph in the code that explains the procedure.
Can someone guide this mentally blinded engineer to the appropriate code section????  I've just wasted the last hour looking back through old codes as well as current codes and am beginning to think that I must have dreamed the whole thing:?)

You will have my eternal gratitude!!!!

Dennis S. Wish, PE
Structural Engineering Consultant
structures(--nospam--at)engineer.com